Me and The Big Roberto
My name is Jorge Jimenez A.K.A. IRYOKU, from Zaragoza (Spain), where I was born in the early ’82. I received my PhD degree in real-time graphics from Universidad de Zaragoza in 2012. I currently work for Activision Blizzard, doing real-time graphics R&D.
More about me
Tribute to my friend Kazan, who I will never forget
Legendary Amiga A1000
B-boying has been a very important component of my life (here I’m holding myself in planche position)
SIGGRAPH Asia Cover
My passion for graphics started after watching old school demos on my big brother’s Amiga A1000, who inspired me to do what I’m currently doing. After that, I was totally sold; I known I had to be a graphics programmer. My favorite topics include real-time photorealistic rendering, special effects, and squeezing rendering algorithms to be practical in game environments. I have been around the real-time graphics world for a while, so I have various contributions in books and journals, including the GPU Pro series and Transactions on Graphics. I co-organized the SIGGRAPH 2011 filtering antialiasing course, declaring open war against the jaggies. Some of my key achivements include Jimenez’s MLAA, SMAA and the separable subsurface scattering technique. Our skin renderings also made the front cover of the SIGGRAPH Asia 2010 issue!
Being a very energetic and strong spirited person, I love challenges, gaming, working out in the gym and more than anything, breaking in the street. I have been b-boying for 8 years; this sport not only improves your physical condition, but also teaches self-discipline and mental toughness, which now extensively serve me in my graphics research career.
My aim for the future is to learn as much as I can, and try to get the best out of myself. For those who wonder what IRYOKU () means, it’s the Japanese word that represents Force of Will. I chose it because it reminds me to put all of myself into everything I do.
More about my skills
- Very strong communication skills.
- Very solid 3D graphics theory knowledge.
- Very strong knowledge of processor architectures.
- FX: very strong knowledge of a wide range of shader effects.
- SDKs: in-depth knowledge of both DirectX (HLSL) and OpenGL (GLSL) APIs.
- Modeling: strong subdivision modeling skills. Basic anatomy knowledge.
- Image Editing: strong Photoshop editing skills.
- Animation, rigging, composition and rendering: basic skills with Cinema 4D, Maya, 3ds MAX and After Effects.
- Audio: OpenAL API and basic audio synthesis knowledge.
- Networks: low-level knowledge of HTTP, FTP, SMTP, POP3, IMAP and proxy services.
- Operating systems: low-level Linux kernel development knowledge, tweaked various drivers.
Due to the fact I have some knowledge in varied topics, I have a good big picture of the whole graphics pipeline.
Check out my curriculum vitae for further details!